Nature awakes :
- When the sap starts to rise, we say that the vine is weeping
- The Wool stage of bud development
- The buds begin to open
- This stage is called Bud-burst
- ...has begun
- Vine at bud break
- We reach the stage of the first leaf unfolding
- ...then 2-3 leaves are open
- And the inflorescences start to appear
- 4-5 leaves have opened out
- The inflorescences develop
- The vine grows
- The vineyard begins to green
The fight against Spring frosts :
The young buds are particularly vulnerable to Spring frosts. To protect them, the vines are sprayed with water as soon as the temperature drops to -1°C. This encloses the buds in a cap of forming ice that maintains the temperature around the bud at a stable 0°C. Spraying will continue until the ice melts.
Springtime work :
- Before ''baissage'' (tying vine branches for grape production)
- The process of ''baissage''
- The main branch is attached to the lower wire
- After ''baissage''
- Turning the soil over with a cultivator
- ...gets rid of weeds
- Planting : marking out the plot
- Planting : the hole needs to be deep enough...
- ...to cover the part of the cutting not coated in paraffin
- The paraffin coating stops the buds from drying out
- Newly-planted plot
- Young vine growth